GLAM GOTH INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- What is Glam Goth?
- Glam Goth is everything that is Glamour and Gothic in whatever sense that means to you. Its beauty, its horror, its tragedy, poetry, and punk rock. It’s a movement, and a fucking new era. Glam Goth is the new religion.
- Where did you get the idea/inspiration to name your business ?
- I just took my aesthetic really and made it my twitter handle, and i guess that’s how the brand started. Originally it was ‘Goth Glam’ but i reversed it after my very first partner didn’t work out.
- What is it like being known as the Renaissance Woman?
- Wow, i’ve actually never heard anyone call me that besides myself haha! But that’s the best feeling in the world, honestly. I believe i’m a woman of many talents, not just being a makeup artist so i never want to limit myself on how i choose to express myself through art.
- What ignited the spark in you to start a new business venture?
- My followers on social media. Snapchat to be exact. I was mixing craft glitters to take with me for photoshoots and then i got all these notifications on when i was planning to release them for sale and i was like huh???? Yall really want these??? And the rest was history.
- How did the idea for your business come about?
- I’ve always wanted my own brand. Whether it had to be through fashion or music i didn’t care what is was i just wanted it to be mine. I can’t really say when or where or a specific moment because its just something that i’ve wanted for so long.
- What three pieces of advice would you give to college students or anyone who want to become entrepreneurs?
- Have patience, Have faith in every struggle and blessing that comes to you NO MATTER WHAT, and to always take CALCULATED risks. Not everything is a ‘good’ opportunity so be wise in what you choose to give your time and energy to.
- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
- Just to tell myself that i am more than enough for anyone. Im the giant. I could choose to be the angel or the devil in any situation because im THAT powerful. Im that bitch. Own it!
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
- These may not be “skills” but: organization, good money management, excellent communication with your consumers.
- What have been some of your failures, and what have you learned from them?
- I don’t really believe in failures to be honest. As long as we are alive we have the chance to take what we learned from anything and apply it to something much more greater than before. I will say that my biggest lesson learned from life thus far is to trust myself more than others. I know what’s best for me and my brand more than anyone who is qualified for whatever is they are trying to finesse me with to gain control of anything.
- How long do you stick with an idea before giving up?
- When it becomes physically exhausting
- How many hours do you work a day on average?
- I’m always working, even when im not working, my ass is working. If there are 24 hours in a day then i finesse a way to work 25.
- Describe/outline your typical day?
- I usually wake up and check my notifications, reply to the people that i feel like replying to. And i typically go where the day takes me. Sometimes i will eat and get dressed for the day and sometimes i spend the entire day in my bathrobe. I feel like creative people go off on what they feel like doing and don’t. And if that’s not true then i need to get organized haha!
- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life?
- It’s definitely brought me closer to my family. I value them so much more now. Even though i do have just a little bit more free time to be with them i value them so much.
- What motivates you?
- My desire to be the first black female gothic icon. I also want to create jobs within my brand for young creative people. My supporters motivate me more than anything though, without them none of this would have been possible.
- How do you build a successful customer base?
- Listen to what your consumer wants. Be relatable. And give the best customer service.
- Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
- In 2018? Hell no. as long as you stay consistent in anything it is that you want to do that shit will happen.
- What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
- When i hold a product in my hand for the first time after it was just only an idea. And i put in the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears into something and it comes out so beautiful. I would definitely compare it to childbirth haha!
- What do you feel is the major difference between entrepreneurs and those who work for someone else?
- How do you go about marketing your business? What has been your most successful form of marketing?
- Being consistent and being relatable. Anytime i want to come off as more professional or just anything that’s not me being me it never really gives me the results that i want.
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve made when it came to your business?
- None. there are mistakes in business if you’re happy and it’s still running.
- How can you prevent mistakes or do damage control?
- Sticking to your guns and being always being honest.
- What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
- I love to watch movies and go thrifting. Which i guess is a sense is working because i get inspired by movies for my work and the clothes i buy i either sell or wear to inspire other people on social media lol
- What sacrifices have you had to make to be a successful entrepreneur?
- My social life really. I cant just like ‘go hang out’ anymore, and even if i do i have to be always checking my phone to make sure my socials engaging.
- Excluding yours, what company or business do you admire the most?
- Pat McGrath and Sugarpill Cosmetics.
- Where you see yourself and your business in 10 years? 20 years?
- In 10 years i want stores all around the world. Traveling and touring with my music and working with other people doing makeup for them and creative directing. In 20 years i’ll be 46, so if i’m still walking this earth i’ll be a living legend doing to the same shit but with more money LOL
- What advice would you give your younger self about being true to yourself?
- Fuck everyone else. This journey is between you and God and the moon and stars. Look to them for guidance.
Make sure to follower her @glamgothh
Follower her makeup brand @glamgothbeauty
Don’t forget to check out @black-girls-anime on IG & Facebook
Getting to know the Queen of Alternative Beauty and Style.